OFA Home -> Frequently Asked Questions -> Receiving Aid FAQ
Receiving Aid FAQ
Ask Finaid!

A:  Typically, your financial aid will begin to release no sooner than 10 days before classes begin.* This assumes you completed all requirements listed on CASH "What Do I Need to Complete?" and reported less-than-full-time enrollment (if applicable) to OFA. Additional information, including other potential delays can be found at Financial Aid Notifications & Aid Release.
*Individual financial aid awards release as they become available, so your total aid may not release at once.

A:  If your university debts are paid (i.e. tuition, on-campus housing, other fees) and you have remaining financial aid, these funds take 2-3 business days to appear in your bank account;* add about 5 business days if you did not elect to receive these funds via direct deposit.
If excess financial aid is sent to an account that is closed or is no longer valid, contact the Student Accounts Receivables office at (512) 471-3723 for assistance. This is also the number to contact if you believe your financial aid check has been lost in the mail.
*In rare cases, financial aid funds are handled differently than above. If you choose an alternative loan lender who does not participate in UT Austin's electronic processes, a paper check will be mailed to the University. These checks will be made available for you to pick up at the cashier's office.

A:  If excess financial aid is sent to an account that is closed or is no longer valid, first contact your bank. Then, contact Payment Information in the Office of Accounting at paymentinfo@austin.utexas.edu or 512-471-1083 to correct routing information or to arrange for a replacement check's disbursement.

A:  If you believe that your financial aid check was lost in the mail, contact the Office of Accounting in-person in MAI 132 or e-mail oa.checks@austin.utexas.edu. If the check has not been returned, you will be required to complete a form to request a reissue of your check. It can take 3-5 business days to process a reissue of a check.

A:  Reinstatement requests can be made by sending an e-mail to reinstatement@finaid.utexas.edu. Make sure to include your UT EID in your request message.

A:  Financial aid can be used for room and board expenses whether you live on or off campus. You may indicate your living plans on the FAFSA. If your housing plans change after you submit the FAFSA, contact the financial aid office.
Your financial aid will not be negatively affected by your decision to live on or off campus. When your financial aid releases, the portion that normally is applied to a Division of Housing and Food bill will instead be sent to you, either by mail or direct deposit, for use in securing room and board for the semester.
Please keep in mind that Federal law prohibits OFA from releasing aid any sooner than 10 days prior to the start of classes.

A:  Financial aid funds are applied to any outstanding UT Austin debts such as tuition, on-campus housing and/or financial bars. Financial aid funds in excess of your university debts are sent to you either by direct deposit or by mail.
The money can then be used toward the purchase of text books and other educational expenses associated with attending UT Austin.
Visit Where's My Check? to find the status of your financial aid release.