University of Texas Home Page


Parents: Do you need to talk to us about your student's financial aid?

The Office of Financial Aid understands that you may have specific questions about the financial aid process or the aid your student is awarded. We are more than happy to answer your questions and help guide you through the process.

To protect the privacy of our students, federal law requires that prior consent is provided to any third-party requesting personally identifiable information. The required Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) authorization must be on file before we are able to disclose specific information regarding student financial aid records. Without prior consent, we are only able to provide you with general financial aid information.

How does my student authorize me to talk to the financial aid office?

Your student should log in to CASH and select What do I need to complete? Next, they should scroll to the bottom of the page and select Create a FERPA Release Authorization. This will open a new window, allowing your student to designate a person or persons to call on their behalf. Your student will also be asked to assign a password to each designee.

How many FERPA Release Authorizations can my student complete?

Students may set up as many authorizations as they like, for anyone they choose.

What else do I need to know?

Each time you (or other designee) contact OSFS, identity must be confirmed with the appropriate FERPA Release Authorization information. See Privacy Policies for more information on FERPA and our privacy policy.

I have other questions about being the parent of a Longhorn - who should I ask?

Texas Parents is a resource dedicated to helping parents help their students. Don't hesitate to call Texas Parents at 512-471-2353 with questions. Parents can also join the Texas Parents Association, the official parents' association of UT Austin, to receive exclusive communications and member benefits.