Scholarships for International Students


When applying for admission to The University of Texas at Austin, all students, including international students, are required to submit the ApplyTexas Application.

However, due to federal and state restrictions on the allocation of educational aid funds, international students are not eligible to use either the Freshman Scholarship Application (part of the ApplyTexas Application process) nor the Continuing & Transfer Scholarship Application. The same applies to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). See exceptions below.

International students should consult their prospective college or department at UT Austin to apply for available financial resources used to fund a U.S. education.


There are a few particular circumstances where international students are in fact eligible to receive financial aid and scholarships through the United States government and the University, respectively. In general, to be eligible for federal financial aid, as well as scholarships at the University, a student must be a citizen of the United States, a U.S. National (including natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island), a U.S. Permanent Resident, Texas State Resident, or an eligible non-citizen.

The general requirement for eligible non-citizens is that the student be in the U.S. for a purpose other than a temporary one. For more information about state residency, read the UT Admissions requirements for establishing Texas Residency. If you think you qualify for Texas Residency, contact our office and describe which section of the eligibility requirements applies to you.

International Office
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS)
ISSS: Financial Services