University of Texas Home Page

Types of Jobs

In November, The University of Texas at Austin will launch Workday, a new software system for human resources and payroll. In preparation for Workday, Work-Study sites and forms will be undergoing changes. Hire a Work-Study (HAWS) will be retired but Hire A Longhorn (HAL) will continue as the official job bank for student employment at the University.


Work-Study is a government-subsidized student employment program designed to assist undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, to finance their educational expenses. Programs include Federal Work-Study and Texas College Work-Study. Work-Study is different from other types of part-time jobs; employers only pay 30% of your wages, while the remaining 70% is paid by the Work-Study program.



Students looking for part-time or seasonal work may search the job openings listed in the Hire a Longhorn Job Bank.


An internship is a great way to gain some real-world work experience and often provides a competitive edge in today's job market. For information about searching for internship opportunities, please contact the appropriate campus career centers.


For students who are interested in giving back to the community through a volunteer/unpaid work opportunity, we recommend contacting the Longhorn Center for Community Engagement. The center serves as The University of Texas at Austin's central resource for those interested in volunteerism and service-learning throughout the UT and Austin Communities.


The Office of Financial Aid strongly discourages full-time students from seeking full-time employment. Most students cannot handle both. It's almost certain that either academics or job performance will suffer, sometimes irreparably. Once you have graduated from the University, HireUTexas is a great place to search for your first career-oriented employment opportunity.