Students at The University of Texas at Austin who are seeking their teaching certification may be eligible to receive an exemption from paying tuition and other fees.
The State of Texas provides exemptions for educational aides for students who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a resident of Texas.
- Be registered for selective service or be exempt from this requirement.
- Be employed in some capacity by a public school district in Texas during the full term for which the award is received unless granted a hardship.
- Show financial need.
- Have been employed by a public school district in Texas working full time, in a classroom directly with students, in a teaching capacity as:
- An educational aide for at least one school year of the past five school years preceding the term or semester for which the initial exemption is awarded, or
- A substitute teacher for 180 days of the past five school years preceding the term or semester for which the initial exemption is awarded.
- Meet satisfactory academic progress requirements established by the college or university.
Additional eligibility requirements and other information can be found on the College For All Texans website.
To apply for this exemption, complete the application and submit it to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid by the following dates:
- For Summer 2019 consideration: June 17, 2019
- For Fall 2019 consideration: October 4, 2019
- For Spring 2020 consideration: February 19, 2020