The Governor’s Emergency Education Relief (GEER) Emergency Educational Grant is federal financial assistance for Texas undergraduate students impacted by the COVID 19 pandemic to support them in remaining enrolled in college and on track to attaining their postsecondary education. These funds are provided through the GEER Fund, a federally funded program and are a form of financial relief to victims of the pandemic emergency. The grant is for the Fall 2020 semester only.
To be eligible for a GEER Emergency Educational Grant, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Be a Texas resident
- Have filed a 2020-21 FAFSA
- Be eligible for Title IV federal student financial aid
- Attestation (confirmation that required eligibility criteria is correct and accurate)
- Show financial need according to the GEER criteria as defined by THECB
- Have suffered a financial impact due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Be an undergraduate
- Family Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of over $65,000 and unmet financial need (students with AGIs under $65,000 or Pell grant recipients may be eligible for CARES emergency grant funding.)
- Have either:
- graduated from high school between September 1, 2019 and August 31, 2020, or
- have been enrolled in coursework at an eligible institution during the 2019-2020 academic year
The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid has contacted UT students who may be eligible to receive the GEER Emergency Educational Grant. Students must complete their attestation by October 23, 2020.
GEER Emergency Educational Grant attestations will be reviewed and processed by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid in line with the requirements of the GEER Emergency Educational Grant. Notification of grant eligibility will be emailed to students within 5 business days.
For questions related to your attestation, please contact Texas One Stop at (512) 232-6988 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to support students and to provide the resources they need to keep their degree plan on track toward graduation.