University of Texas Home Page


Summer 2018 Financial Aid

Registering for summer classes at UT Austin? Financial aid offers will begin to be released in early May for students who are registered for summer sessions. To be eligible for summer aid, you’ll need to have completed both the 2017-18 and 2018-19 FAFSAs and be registered for the minimum number of hours required.

FANs and registration

Your Financial Aid Notification (FAN) will state the number of hours and sessions on which your aid offer is based. If the session or hours you are enrolled in differs from what’s on your FAN, those changes must be reported using CASH’s Report Changes service so your aid can be adjusted, if necessary. If you are taking fewer hours than the minimum required, your aid will be cancelled.

Available aid types

Keep in mind that most summer aid packages include loans, not grants. Loan amounts are based on your remaining aid eligibility from the Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 semesters. If you received your full allotment of federal loans during the fall and spring semesters, we will not be able to offer you any additional loan funding for the summer. (If you are completing your degree in either the summer or the fall of 2018 and have exhausted your annual loan limit, you may be eligible for a prorated loan award, but you’ll need to complete the Certification of Early Graduation form for the Office of Financial Aid to review.

Financial aid payment

For first session, nine-week or whole-session courses, aid is scheduled to pay in early June. For second-session courses, aid is scheduled to pay in mid-July. Payment is contingent on completion of all CASH and summer enrollment requirements.

Haven’t gotten your aid yet? Make sure you’ve

  • Checked and completed any outstanding CASH requirements
  • Completed both the 2017-18 and 2018-19 FAFSAs
  • Checked that your registration matches the credits or sessions reported on your FAN (or reported your changes via CASH)

There may also be a slight delay in your aid payment if you’re completing registration when aid is scheduled to pay, or if you’re enrolled in a special program (like study abroad).